Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Too much information

Now my memory might be failing me, but I think this imposing figure in Prague’s Old Town Square is Jan Hus, a Bohemian religious reformer who was excommunicated in 1411 and burnt at the stake in 1415 (thank you Wikipedia.)

However, I’m pretty sure someone told me he was an astronomer who wore a prosthetic nose after his was cut off by sword during a duel, and who met his death in a Darwinesque fashion after drinking so much in a drinking competition that his bladder exploded.

What I do remember quite clearly is this. Speaking of unsavoury matters, I encountered an unsavoury matter of my own. Footsore and thirsty, I had purchased a takeaway paper cup of coke from a nearby café, finding it surely the biggest price rip-off in town. Seated on these steps, I drank about a third of the cup before I looked at it more closely. There, sticking to the inside of the cup, was brown matter that did NOT look like droplets of coke. It was dirt and mouse poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment