Friday, June 18, 2010

Spicy


Gorgeous spice stall. Nobody sneeze now...


The chapattis come ‘hot off the press’, stacked on a plate. Here, a man prepares ours, at a corner eatery. While we waited, a well-dressed middle-aged woman, resplendent in red silk sari and gold jewellery, requested to have her photo taken with me – exotic white stranger that I am. I wish I had pulled out my camera....

2 comments:

  1. The photo thing reminds me of a time in Indonesia. We were somewhere remote in the middle of Java and our driver stopped for a break and we had a wander around a small village. An old man came up and touched me on the arm. I didn't have enough language to ask him why but he was smiling and I got the impression he just wanted to have some interaction with this strange looking foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah wow! And I just recently learned that in Beijing, asking a foreign stranger for a photo translates in English as "making hello".

    ReplyDelete